Experienced Nashville Family Law Adoption Lawyer Helps Build Your Family One Adoption at a Time
Get competent adoption help in Nashville, TN
Whether you are a married couple, a single parent, a stepparent or a blood relative interested in adoption, I am here to walk you through the process and assert your legal rights. The adoption procedure in Tennessee can be quick and easy with relatively low costs, or it can stretch on for years with many setbacks and high fees. Each case must be viewed independently by a competent and experienced family law adoption attorney. When all is said and done, you and your family can expect to quickly forget all the hardships once you have that extra smile at your kitchen table.
The steps involved in an adoption
Before you can adopt a child, the parental rights of the parents must be terminated. If you are working with an agency to adopt a child who has been "freed for adoption," parental rights will have already been terminated. If not, then this will have to be done as part of your case.
If parental rights have been terminated, then what happens next will vary depending on your relationship to the child. For a blood relative or stepparent, it is a quicker and easier procedure. For a non-relative the requirements are more demanding. The adoption process usually includes:
- Completing a home study. Throughout a series of meetings, an agency social worker collects your documentation and makes sure you are ready, willing and able to begin this exciting stage in your life.
- Searching for a child. You may adopt a child in America or overseas to find the child, teenager or sibling group to fit right into your family.
- Meeting the child in person. Once you are selected to be the adoptive parent, you and your future child meet and get to know each other over the course of several meetings. This is where the bond begins.
- Setting a placement date. Your agency works with you to set an appropriate placement date for the child to move into your home and life.
- Finalizing your adoption. In a simple court proceeding, a judge acknowledges the new relationship and declares the child to be yours by law.
The adoption process can be stressful if you don’t know what to expect. Since 1995, I’ve ushered new families down the path that leads to a growing family. I always keep you informed about how your case is progressing, and I work with individuals and agencies to ensure that everything goes as smoothly as possible.
Call Thomas H. Miller, Attorney at Law today for your free initial consultation
If you are involved in a family law issue, call my office at 615.208.9851 or contact me online for your free initial consultation. I offer flexible office hours and I am pleased to return calls after hours for your convenience. I serve clients throughout Nashville and in the surrounding counties of Sumner, Rutherford, Hickman, Wilson, Montgomery, Maury, Cheatham, Robertson, Dickson and Williamson.